Just like it is important for us, it is also important for our pets to stay on top of their vaccines and immunizations. Below is a list of the 5 top reasons vaccinations are important for pets:
- It is essential for your pets’ health and long happy life. Vaccines can effectively prevent serious canine diseases like distemper, rabies and hepatitis, and major feline diseases like feline leukemia, calicivirus or viral rhinotracheitis.
- It can keep the human members of your family healthy as some of your pets’ diseases can transfer to humans.
- It is required by law. Different states have different laws governing the administration of some required vaccines. Be sure to check which dog or cat vaccines are required where you live.
- It can save lives. It is important to realize that vaccines have saved countless lives. Rabies vaccination, for example, has saved the lives of countless dogs and many humans as well (who could have contracted rabies from dog bites).
- If your pet likes to play outdoors and with other pets, it is very likely that he or she will be exposed to many infectious, and fatal diseases. If your pet is vaccinated, its immune system will be prepared to fight these infections.
Depending on your geographical location and your pet’s lifestyle, your veterinarian may recommend different vaccinations. Make sure to contact your veterinarian to define which vaccines are important for your pet.